Rob and Jessica live in Albemarle County, Virginia, and their son Robbie attends public school. Jessica is a high school English teacher who is currently taking time off to raise Robbie and Evie.
Rob supports educational excellence and giving parents choices. He has supported expansions of charter schools, tax credits for scholarships for disadvantaged children in underperforming schools. He also led the ultimately unsuccessful fight for the “Tebow Bill” that would give home schooled students additional options.
In addition, like any parents, the Bells understand the importance of student safety. Rob has written new laws that:
• Ban criminal sex offenders from schools during school hours (HB 984 – 2006)
• Require schools to establish bullying prevention programs (HB 2266 – 2005)
• Require schools to notify parents when a child is a victim of a crime at school (HB 2266 – 2005)
• Require additional background checks for school teachers (HB 1242 – 2008)
• Ban criminal sex offenders from school activities and school buses (HB 2066 – 2011)
• Address “cyberbullying” by treating threats sent by “texting” the same as threats made by phone (HB 2059 – 2011)